Author Interview: Angel Rothamel





Title: Misunderstandings
Author: Angel Rothamel
Genre: M/M Contemporary Romance

What would you do if you got a call informing you that the family as you knew it, was a lie?

Dan Brock, retired SEAL turned mechanic in small town Cedar, Colorado, gets a call that changes his life. Dealing with the family he never knew about, Dan takes his frustrations out on the man, that because of his good looks, Dan refuses to have anything to do with.

Dallas Bainbridge’s primary job is flying Dan’s former CO from place to place. Getting a request to fly Dan to his father’s funeral, Dallas tries to keep to himself, not knowing why Dan doesn’t like him. Can the two men get past their differences, or will a simple misunderstanding keep them apart?

 Author Bio

Growing up in Washington State then moving to Texas then Missouri, before going on a life changing move to Perth, Australia, Angel has used experiences in her life to encourage her writings. She began writing when she was in 6th grade and always loved to tell tales of drama and intrigue. She insists on a happily ever after, at least for now, but she also says that ‘the more drama they have to overcome the better. I like real stories, stories that take you on the gambit of emotions.’  She loves hearing that her readers laughed, cried, and even went so far as to want to smack the characters and ask… WTF!

She currently lives in Southeast Texas with her two dogs, a beagle Daisy and Chihuahua Bonita, along with her good friend Chris.

You can usually find her in front of her computer, typing away on her latest book, or on the phone with her best friend plotting out what will happen in one of their joint projects.

You can find her at: www.angelrothamel.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/angel.rothamel

Do you plan everything or just let the story flow?


When I first started out, I tried to plan each and every step, situation and the whole kit and caboodle. But as time went on, I found that while that worked for some characters and stories it didn’t work for them all.
So now, with some I plan down to the last detail, but others I just write as they come to me. I usually come up with the characters, the major drama that they have to overcome, and then who ends up with who.

 Do your characters ever want to take over the story?

*snort* All the freaking time! I have even had characters from other stories, come up and say… “well that’s good, but ya know… this would be better!” and the hell of it is… they’re usually right!

Sometimes I allow it, but other times I have a specific vision for the characters and story and while I don’t ignore the suggestions, (because ignoring characters can be disastrously bad), I work with them to either create a different story that what they want will be in, or I incorporate what they want into the story without affecting my vision for it.

What drew you to the M/M genre in particular?

I’ve always loved the idea of two gorgeous men together. I didn’t care who they were or what they were doing really, I just loved the idea.

I began reading M/M when I stumbled along a story while googleing something else. I began reading Nick and Damien (by Rolf and Ranger) and fell in love with them. Then from reading about them I began to get ideas and characters to write about.

Are you a morning person or a night owl?

I am so a night owl, unfortunately I have to be to work at 6 am in the morning!

What have you learned about writing and publishing since you first started?
My first thought has to be, I asked the question… “Ok, I just signed my first contract… Now what do I do?” I was completely in the dark about what authors have to do in order to get their names and books out there to the public.

Since then, a year later, I’ve learned more about editing and the editing process. I’ve learned that as an author I have to create a book buzz. I’ve learned about things like, blog hops and tours, how you can pay to get a block of tours or you can set them up on your own for free. I’ve learned about doing promotion parties and who I can go to for those. I have learned that the best way to get a fan base is to just interact with people.

There is still a lot left to learn, but thankfully we have created a good base of people that we can go to if we have questions.

Is there anything you would do differently?
Yes and no. It is very overwhelming in the beginning, especially if you have several books you want to get out at a time. The excitement gets to you and you think, oh cool! I’ve got one book contracted, let’s do another! And another, and another and so on.

I would only do one at a time, spend the time to get each book done the way you want it, and promote it so that it gets the best chance of being noted.

If you have too many books out there at the same time, then the potential for one book ‘outshining’ another or one book getting more buzz than the other is there. Each book should have their own chance to shine.

Anything you would say to those just starting out in the craft?

Oh boy… take it one day at a time. Your editor really is your friend! They want the book to be just as good as you do. We lucked out, we got an editor that rocks! The door is open for us to talk to the editor about suggestions and so on.

The cover artist is also your friend! Hopefully you will get one that you can converse with about the cover, what your vision is and what they have done.
There will be ups and downs along the way, and you have to have a thick skin in some areas… but there are always people you can ask questions of.

The most important thing is to not give up, don’t take things personally, and don’t sell out your vision to the point you can’t live with it.

Blurb of your latest release or coming soon book

What would you do if you got a call informing you that the family as you knew it, was a lie.

Dan Brock, retired SEAL turned mechanic in small town Cedar, Colorado, gets a call that changes his life. Dealing with the family he never knew about, Dan takes his frustrations out on the man, that because of his good looks, Dan refuses to have anything to do with.

Dallas Bainbridge’s primary job is flying Dan’s former CO from place to place. Getting a request to fly Dan to his father’s funeral, Dallas tries to keep to himself, not knowing why Dan doesn’t like him. Can the two men get past their differences, or will a simple misunderstanding keep them apart?

List of previous books if any:

The Solstice by Angel Rothamel
Misunderstandings by Angel Rothamel
Written with best friend and co-author as AJ Kelton:
Under The Australian Sky
Faelon
Marco

Any websites/places readers can find you on the web

You can find her at either of the websites:  http://angelrothamel.com/   &  http://ajkelton.com/
Feel free to drop her a line at… : angelrothamel@gmail.com
Or on facebook at:  http://www.facebook.com/angel.rothamel


2 comments:

  1. I would love to thank you for allowing me to be here today! I am thrilled to be able to promote my new book Misunderstandings.

    ReplyDelete

 
Zipper Rippers Blog Design by Ipietoon