Book Spotlight: Violence Begets by P.T. Denys





Title: Violence Begets 
Author: PT Denys
Genre: YA LGBT Fiction

After a tragic accident devastates his family, 16-year-old Rick St. James starts his junior year of high school without any friends in a suburb of Salt Lake City, Utah. When he meets Kevin Vincent, he’s too distracted by the promise of new friends to see that Kevin has secrets of his own.

Having created an environment where he's feared and admired by his classmates, Kevin finds pleasure in using his good looks and violence to control and manipulate those around him. Secretly, he cruises the gay club scene, turning tricks to earn money so he can party and get high.

As Rick’s dad becomes increasingly violent and abusive at home, the two form a surprising and volatile trust. In this battle of wills, their precarious friendship will either keep their lives from blowing up around them or possibly light the fuse that will cause the explosion.

Excerpt:

It still hurt.  When I woke, my body had a dull ache but the pain was not nearly as bad as I’d expected.  Where was I?  I focused my eyes to the darkness and saw Kevin in a chair next to wherever it was I was lying. His arms were folded across his chest and his head was bowed with his dark hair covering his face from my sight.  From the soft snores that escaped his mouth, I knew he was asleep.  I realized I was in his room and it was dark.  I searched for a clock and found one; it was 11:17 PM.  I shifted in the bed, trying to sit upright and my movement startled Kevin.  His eyes shot open and he immediately looked at his door then to me.  He quickly looked around the room gathering his bearings then relaxed back into his chair.

“How ya feelin’?” he asked wiping the sleep from his eyes.

“Better, than I thought I would.”

“Yeah, I’ve keep you pretty drugged up.”

“How’d we get here?”

“You don’t remember?”

“No,” I said trying to piece together my last memories.  “I think I remember calling you. Did I?”

“Yeah, you did.”

“When was that?”

“In the middle of the fucking night.”

I looked at the clock again, “It’s only eleven.”

“Last night.”

“I’ve been here all day?”

“Yeah.”

“Your dad?” I asked.

“He doesn’t know.  We need to keep it that way.”

“How’d I get here?” I repeated.

“I came and got you. Brought you back.” He said shortly.

“My dad?”

“Passed the fuck out when I got there. Good thing. I didn’t want to have to fuck him up to get you out of there.”

“But how, how did we get here? I don’t remember anything.”

“You were pretty out of it but we managed.  Wasn’t easy, but,” he paused, “well I had to get you out of there.”

“Did you have help?”

“No.”

“You got me up here by yourself?” I couldn’t seem to focus on any of the real issues, instead focusing in on how I had gotten to his house.

“It’s not that big of a deal.  You hungry?” He asked getting up from his chair.

“No, not so much.”

“I’m gonna make me something, you sure?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

When he came back he had two grilled cheese sandwiches.

“Figured, you might want this anyway.” He said putting the plate down on the nightstand.

“Thanks.” I said, still not having much of an appetite.  “I could use a smoke.”

“Think you can manage? Here, take a few shots first. It’ll help numb ya up a bit.”

“So, why is it that you always seem to be coming to my rescue?” I asked once we were outside. My lips were both swollen and dragging on the smoke made me very conscious of just how much my dad had messed me up.

“No rescue would have been needed this time if I hadn’t left you there in the first place. I should have known your dad would be gunning for you after the shit you told me.”

“Not your fault.”

“No. Still.”

“And what would you have done?  Finding you in my room at three in the morning would have only made it worse.”

“I should have known.” He mumbled.

“Knock it off.” I said irritably.

“What?”

“I mean, I can’t quite figure out what you’re after.  Don’t take this wrong, but you’re an ass.” His eyes narrowed a little as he glanced sideways at me, a warning?  I had a feeling he wouldn’t nail me in my condition so I proceeded. “I mean, you’re not one to really care much about others.  So why take care of me?”

“I’m not all bad.”

“But you’re not….good.” I stammered.

“Well Rick,” he took a long drag on his smoke, “I have my fair share of secrets.”

***

Author Bio

PT never imagined she’d actually publish a book. But, the story of Violence Begets… haunted her for over 20 years, and the lives of Kevin and Rick had to be shared.

In addition to writing a sequel, she divides her time between family, work, attending theater and reading.

Above all else she loves being a mother to 2 amazing daughters (a teenager and a baby).

PT believes that no one deserves to be intentionally hurt (physically or emotionally) by another. She also believes that behind nearly every bully is a story.


Links 

Website: www.PTDenys.com
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/ptdenys
Facebook Profile: www.facebook.com/authorptdenys
Twitter Page: www.twitter.com/ptdenys

Buy from Amazon US | UK | AU | CA | DE


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Zipper Rippers Blog Design by Ipietoon