Author Interview: Kelli A. Wilkins


Zipper Ripper Interview with Romance Author Kelli A. Wilkins
www.KelliWilkins.com

Could you tell us a bit about your latest release?

Sure! My latest gay romance is titled A Secret Match. It’s my third erotic M/M romance with Amber Quill Press. Here’s the book blurb and link:

A Secret Match

Everett Kinkade is a world-famous professional wrestler and the sexy heartthrob of millions of adoring female fans. But Ev has a secret he doesn’t dare share with anyone. He’s gay.

After years of being Ev’s secret lover, Josh is tired of hiding in the shadows and wants Ev to openly acknowledge their relationship. Coming out is the last thing Ev wants and fears it will ruin his career.

One night in a moment of truth, Everett outs himself on live TV. There’s no going back, and his announcement sparks a firestorm of problems – both personally and professionally. He’s forced to come to grips with who he really is while facing down a tag team out to destroy him.

Torn between living a lie and losing the man he loves, Ev has risked everything… can he find a balance between his career and his heart?

Order a copy here: http://www.amberquill.com/store/p/2022-A-Secret-Match.aspx
Coming soon to Amazon and B&N in e-book and paperback!

Do you plan everything or just let the story flow?

Once I have an idea for a book, I write everything down in a rough outline. From there, I start writing. A Secret Match was a different kind of book to write. It’s sort of the follow-up to my M/F romance, A Perfect Match. Ev is a secondary character in that story, and I always knew “one day” he’d get his own book, but I never put much thought into it. Then, back in December, I was driving to work and Ev showed up with a four line book summary. About an hour later, I had the whole story outlined and started writing.

Do your characters ever want to take over the story?

Yes, sometimes characters like Ev (and a few of my other heroes) try to take over the story. In those cases I’ll write scenes for them and delete them later if they don’t work or if they’re not a good fit for the plot. I think it gets the characters’ needs out of my system and I treat those scenes like writing exercises.

Do you write in other genres besides M/M? What drew you to the M/M genre in particular?


My romances span nearly every genre: historical, gay, contemporary, fantasy, and paranormal. I go where my story ideas lead me, so I’m not married to one romance genre. I wrote several same-sex and ménage scenes for my historical/fantasy trilogy (A Midsummer Night’s Delights, A Midwinter Night’s Delights, and Ultimate Night’s Delights) and then just naturally progressed into M/M. My first M/M book, Four Day with Jack, is about two best friends (one gay, the other “straight” but questioning…) who go away for a long weekend together.

Are you a morning person or a night owl?

I can be both! Sometimes I’ll stay up late (going out, writing, watching a movie), but then other times I get up early (to write, go to flea markets, or visit friends, etc.). I don’t need much sleep!

Where do you dream of travelling to and why?

I’ve been fortunate enough to do a lot of traveling and I love the UK. (My husband and I just had a trip to Ireland and Wales.) I’d like to visit Europe (Rome, Hungary), Greece, and one day go to Easter Island and see the moai. I’m adventurous and want to see as much of the world as I can.

Do distant places feature in your books?

Sometimes. I’ve set a lot of my historical and fantasy books in the UK—or UK-like places. My M/F romance, The Viking’s Witch, was set in the Orkney Islands. My M/M romance, Four Days with Jack took place in a tropical island resort. I never really know what my next book will be about or where it will take place until I start writing.

Do you listen to music while writing?

Yes, when I’m writing a book I have on instrumental or New Age music. When I’m typing up the manuscript, I put on loud rock music to motivate me (and make me type faster). Music plays a big part in two of my M/F romances, A Perfect Match and Trust with Hearts. In A Perfect Match, I used songs to convey the characters’ moods. The hero in Trust with Hearts is a country singer, so music is the central focus of his world.

What are three words that describe you?

Imaginative, unpredictable Capricorn.

List of previous books:

My two other M/M romances are:

Four Days with Jack – available here:
Amazon | Amber Quill Press

Killer in Wolf’s Clothing – available here:
Amazon | Amber Quill Press

And I have 15 other (M/F) romances! Excerpts, reviews, and summaries for all of them are on my site: www.KelliWilkins.com

Thanks for letting me visit! It was fun sharing my thoughts with readers. I invite everyone to visit my site (www.KelliWilkins.com) to read excerpts, reviews, and summaries of all my romances. I welcome feedback from readers and you can contact me with questions or comments. You can sign up for my newsletter, Kelli’s Quill, here: http://eepurl.com/HVQqb


ABOUT KELLI A. WILKINS

Kelli A. Wilkins is an award-winning author who has published more than 90 short stories, 18 romance novels, and 4 non-fiction books. Her romances span many genres and heat levels. Kelli had three romances published in 2014: A Secret Match, Wilderness Bride, and Dangerous Indenture. Look for her story, “Home for Halloween” in the upcoming Moon Shadows horror anthology. Preview it here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N232UEG

Kelli publishes a blog: (http://kelliwilkinsauthor.blogspot.com) filled with excerpts, interviews, writing prompts, and whatever else pops into her head. She also writes a monthly newsletter, Kelli's Quill, and posts on Facebook and Twitter. Kelli invites readers to visit her website, http://www.KelliWilkins.com to learn more about all of her writings.

Catch up with Kelli on the Web:

Website: www.KelliWilkins.com
Blog: http://kelliwilkinsauthor.blogspot.com/
Newsletter sign-up: http://eepurl.com/HVQqb
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Kelli-A.Wilkins/e/B001JSAB24/
Amber Quill Press Author page: http://www.amberquill.com/store/m/149-Kelli-A-Wilkins.aspx
Twitter: www.Twitter.com/@KWilkinsauthor
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1123678.Kelli_A_Wilkins
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kelli.wilkins1


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Zipper Rippers Blog Design by Ipietoon